Monday, May 19, 2014

First Stop:5/19

Trains/Buses taken today: Blue Line to Jackson, Red Line to 35th, Red Line to Harrison, back on the Red Line to Belmont, Brown Line to Kimball, Kimball bus to Catalpa.  I'm still not done for the day...

Best thing seen: An old man at the Kimball stop was wearing a bright blue blazer, something out of an Easter parade. He had an awesome paisley ascot and carried himself with a four-legged cane.  He stood near the front and spoke to both the driver and another passenger, a young man with beaded cornrows.  In my imagination, he told them lottery numbers or dirty jokes.

Today's the first day of this insane summer schedule. I've wanted to keep track of things I've seen on the trains for quite some time now; today's events were a good impetus to get rolling.

These past few years have been pretty strange.  I've gotten to take part in brand-new programs across the city, and this summer I am joining a pilot program that is taking me from Albany Park to Bronzeville every Monday through Friday. To be honest, I am not looking forward to the amount of time that I'll be spending in the clutches of the CTA, but this is the life of an adjunct without a car.  Or the desire to get one. Or the balance/spatial awareness/bravery necessary to ride a bike. 

I don't know what this will be besides a series of rants about things I've seen on trains, things my students have said/shared/taught me, and whiskeys and beers I've consumed thoughts I've had.

It's good to be writing again.  Hopefully you enjoy reading it. If not, try reading this in the voice of your favorite preacher, as that should make it more enjoyable.



No comments:

Post a Comment