Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Second post, first day

Transit taken and to be taken today: Taxi (damn Blue Line delays and my inability to move fast enough to compensate), Kimball Bus to Brown Line, Brown Line to Belmont Red, Belmont Red to Sox-35th, Sox-35th to Brown line transfer, Brown Line to Western, Brown Line to Addison, Brown Line to Fullerton, Fullerton Bus home

Best thing seen commuting today: The warm weather has brought out rude t-shirts. Off of the Sox-35th, I saw two key shirts: "Jealousy is a disease...get better, bitch" and another that I can't remember exactly but involved the word motherfucker.  I do remember that it was pink.  

Damn. Writing out all of this really puts into perspective the amount of time waiting to get to places versus the time that I spend at these places before I wait to go somewhere else. A coworker was watching a video about the humiliation of the commute. I don't feel that commuting is at all humiliating; it may compromise some of my humanity when I am smashed and jostled and pushed and enraged at times, but it doesn't seem humiliating. It does seem more tiring these days than before. The train gears wear down from use; maybe my own gears are doing the same.  

I had my first day teaching in my morning program and my first day teaching a new class for my afternoon school. In both cases, the students were great. Teaching a new class is still a very exciting experience for me and is certainly terrifying.  However, it was nice feeling the surge of "the new" in both cases.  Who knows what is going to happen in the next few days, let alone the rest of my time here. By here, I don't know if I mean this summer, in this city, or in this world. I have a feeling it's applicable towards all points.  

Do yourself a favor, listen to Brother George's "Sailor" when you get a chance.  It's one I often bop my head to at intermittent points.  I think you might could like it, too.  


No comments:

Post a Comment